Chronic disease is a debilitating condition that lasts for at least 6 months and may even prolong. These can often lead to health gradually getting worse. They can lower your quality of life and affect your independence.
Family physicians at Prime Healthcare of Cypress, are dedicated to helping you manage chronic conditions by offering personalized care.
Table of Contents
Understanding chronic disease management
Chronic disease management is a comprehensive and integrated care approach to managing illnesses which includes screening, regular check-ups, monitoring, and coordinating treatment, and patient education and counseling.
It can enhance your quality of life while reducing your healthcare costs if you have a chronic disease by preventing or minimizing the effects of a disease.
Chronic conditions that require medical care and management
Some examples of chronic conditions or diseases that require regular care and management include the following:
- Heart disease
- Thyroid problems
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Mental health disorders
You may acquire certain conditions as a result of:
- A genetic background (hereditary conditions)
- Environmental factors
- Unhealthy diet
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Tobacco use
- Alcohol consumption
The procedure involved in chronic disease management
It is essential to identify your symptoms and seek medical help to better understand your health.
Your healthcare professional will evaluate your overall health by:
- Evaluating your symptoms
- Reviewing your medical history to better understand:
- Your family history
- Lifestyle habits (diet, physical activity, stress levels)
- Medications and supplements being taken
- Any history of previous trauma or surgery
- Performing a physical examination according to your symptoms
- Ordering diagnostic tests such as:
- Blood analysis
- Urine analysis
- Imaging tests like X-rays, ultrasound scans, MRIs, or CT scans
This in-depth assessment will help your doctor design an appropriate chronic disease management program for you.
Treatments available for chronic disease management
Effective management of your chronic condition is important since it aims to:
- Improve your overall health
- Prevent or delay complications
- Slow the progression of your disease
Your treatment plan may include:
- Nutritional therapy: Consuming a well-balanced and healthy diet, along with good hydration.
- Exercise program: Being physically active reduces weight since obesity is a common risk factor for several chronic illnesses.
- Smoking cessation: Tobacco use can narrow your arteries increasing the risk of heart disease or worsening the condition.
- Medically supervised weight loss: Adequate weight loss to an optimal level can improve your well-being.
- Stress management strategies: Yoga and meditation are effective stress-reducing strategies.
- Disease-specific medications: Medications for chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can provide long-term management.
Regular checkups are essential to monitor your health and adjust your treatment plan as needed. Together with your healthcare professional, you can take appropriate measurements to improve your quality of life.